Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Dexy Says Relax!


Woof!

Hi again! Today I'm going to be having a sniff and snuff around the subject of hyperactivity, that's when I run around and around like a fruit loop, woof needlessly and can be quite the destructive pup! Hyperactivity may seem like you're dog is happy but in most cases it can be because your pup is bored or not being fulfilled in some way. I use to be hyper most of the time, but now I have certain triggers or points of the day when I go a lil loco!

You may wonder why it's necessary to quell hyper behaviour, I mean, what's wrong with a mad puppy?! Well yesterday my owner was on a Disney film marathon after getting Beauty and the Beast to watch, all well and good, but unfortunate to her the film ran into my hyper time! Igaboo works hard to obtain a routine for me, and at certain times of the day it is madness time, where I'm encouraged to run and play and be my usual fruit loop, if I'm like this at other times she will ignore the behaviour until I calm down, but because her relax time had crept into my mad time she couldn't watch her films until my needs had been addressed. That's why it's good to be in a routine with your pooch, without one, you'll find it very hard to relax and sit back with a cuppa tea without a dog scooching about and ultimately annoying you. It's also not fair to have your pup expect something like a good playtime for an hour like usual and not provide it, scatty behaviour on your part will lead to scatty behaviour on my part!

Other reasons I could be hyperactive could be because something has spooked me- like the post, so we now have a box to stop me attacking those enveloped intruders, I can be hyper too if I haven't had enough exercise and a proper stimulating walk, so make sure I get both of those boxes ticked. Some pups are docile so you might not have a hyper pup to live with, but if you do just look for what triggers it and find ways to overcome it. I always get hyper when we have visitors, most people don't mind this, but some don't want a lil pooch jumping all over them, and some little people can be scared by me jumping at them, so whenever people pop over I get a hard rawhide bone which I show off proudly to our guests and promptly munch on it quietly on my cushion, although some of our guests like winding me up when I'm hyper but Igaboo always makes sure it becomes a structured game or activity that makes me learn and think, but more importantly calms me down.

Basic hyperactive behaviour can just come across as annoying or amusing to an owner, watching me run about in circles, chasing invisible cats, barking to thin air, but the most important reason to try and make it more structured is because I could really hurt myself doing it. My owner has watched me fall down the stairs, mistime jumps and also run straight into things, on all occasions I was whimpering and whelping but luckily it was nothing more than superficial, I also once got so excited that I tripped my owner when she was carrying a hot drink and both of us got a little burnt, I now steer clear of people holding cups! So just be careful with hyper behaviour and remember it may be fun to observe but it normally means your pup is unhappy about something and also could harm your pup as they rush about in their own mad mood.

By the way the picture is me in the middle of a manic episode, I like to dig the duvet until Igaboo's nicely made bed is one big mess!

Puppy Kisses and Love

Dexy Do Dah Dog
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment