Sunday, September 26, 2010

Separation Anxiety


Woof!

Hello again! Today is a lesson about separation anxiety, I've mentioned it before, but today we're going to have big look at it as it's a very interesting trait us puppies have. Separation anxiety is a condition that affects a lot of pooches in many different ways. It's basic reasoning is as a canine I have a pack mentality, and you as my owner are in my pack, so when you leave me I fret because I am worried about my pack and need to know you are ok, quite sweet of me really, but quite frustrating for you!

First of all you need to look out for the signs, these may include me following you around the house, over excitement, self harming or feigning injuries, barking/whining, destructive behaviour, house soiling, and panic attacks to name just a few symptoms. The negative behaviour can be result of a change of routine, not use to being left alone, a traumatic event (i.e. thunderstorm etc), moving house, or because your pup has spent time in a dog home, but, with clever training and patience you can eliminate all problems and have a happy, self secure pooch that will be a joy to live with! You may think it's nice to have a pup so needing of your love and attention, but a puppy like that can't be a fully happy pup!

Next you need to know and understand your puppies triggers, so what sets off the negative behaviour traits? For most it is leaving us behind when you go out, or not being able to be right there next to you at all times when we are at home. So you need to address the issues and tackle them with a lot of patience!

At Home
When at home you have to make me understand that you do not want to spend time with me constantly. Give me toys to play with and try leaving me in another room, I will protest at first, but I will slowly learn, also ignore my hyper activities to get your attention, instead opting to only give me attention when I am calm, this will slowly reinforce in my little puppy head the behaviour you deem good and thus we both get what we want. Other things to consider are my boredom levels, make sure I have enough to keep me occupied or I will start being destructive and having a chew at things I shouldn't, Kong toys are a great mind exercise for pups, and some treats like pig ears are great because they take ages to eat. If I follow you around the house a lot just ignore me, hard I know because I'm so cute, but I need to know that you might love me, but you need a break sometimes too!

On Leaving
Now, I have this very bad habit of getting very excited when my owner is about to leave, it triggers when I see her get her shoes on, or pick up her keys, or puts on her coat. My owner use to take me everywhere with her, but as I've gotten bigger, and was starting to develop bad habits and an over attachment to her, she has started leaving me at home sometimes. The trick she has learnt is to just put on her shoes and walk around the house in them, put on her coat and sit and read a book next to me, and holding her keys, just holding them, at first we both thought this was very strange, but I'm starting to not notice now when she does any of these things, so when she does do it to leave me, I'm not really that bothered. This is good as well for when I go on walks, because it means I'm not over excited before I leave so I get the full benefit of my exercise. When you return after leaving me, also remember to not give me attention straight away, come in, take off your coat, put the kettle on perhaps, and then greet me once I have calmed down.

Separation anxiety is something you need to address as soon as it flares up, otherwise it's harder to crack the bad behaviour. It does take a lot of time and patience to tackle it, and you wont see any positive results of it for a few weeks, but eventually you and your pup will have an understanding that's secure and both of you can enjoy each other's company. It may feel like you're punishing us pooches, but it's merely reinforcing positive behaviour and ignoring the bad, because hyperactivity and needy behaviour does not mean your pup is completely happy.

Hope that helps, today I got a new wind up mousie to play with and a lovely pink bed to sleep in, both thanks to my owner's mummy, many tail wags and puppy kisses! So I'm off to chase my mousie and once I'm all pooped out, I'll test out my new bed. Stay happy folks!

Puppy Kisses and Love

Dexy Do Dah Dog
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment